Friday, 18 February 2011

The irony of effort based marking...

As you may have noticed from my previous posts, I've been taking a course in Behavioural Finance.* Yesterday, the professor announced that he wasn't going to mark and give back our earlier assignments, but instead he would mark them based on effort, and that as he was happy with everyone's effort he was going to award everyone full marks.

First, I found this quite upsetting and indeed insulting. My group and I had worked very hard on our assignments and had produced work that was, in my subjective opinion, of an exceptionally higher standard than what was presented by others in the class. To have that effort rendered worthless was very frustrating.

Second, the irony is that I suspect the reason for switching to effort-based marking is because the professor does not want to expend the effort to read, review or mark our work - in which case, he deserves an exceptionally low grade for his effort.

Argghhh... okay, frustration vented.

*I've also been doing a class on fixed income securities. If you've been wondering why I haven't blogged about this class, it's because it's hard to find exciting things to blog about in fixed income. That's not to say fixed income isn't exciting (after all, there's nothing quite like building and flexing yield curves for excitement...), but I'm not sure what I could say exciting things about fixed income - unless anyone's interested in discussing the application of the Vasicek model of short-term interest rates? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

2 comments:

  1. that is frustrating. i can sort of understand it on the professor's end if he's very busy, but a very lame and lazy choice. but at least you still have top marks, which you would have gotten either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. laura isn't the only one who needs to post. ;-)

    ReplyDelete